8 Low- and No-Cost Ways to Save Energy in BuildingsBilly Pell
In an article appearing in a recent issue of Engineering Green Buildings, a newsletter from HPAC Engineering, author Kenneth M. Elovitz identifies several “low-hanging fruit” ideas for budget-minded facility managers looking to cut costs associated with energy use in commercial buildings. As the author points out, new building projects provide energy-saving opportunities related to design and construction. Existing buildings, however, have a variety of low- and no-cost energy saving retrofit options worthy of consideration as well.
Energy Saving Ideas for Commercial BuildingsBelow is a summary of several ideas shared in the piece as well as one added suggestion. Click here to read the original article for more details.
- Analyze Building Energy Use
- Reduce Water Pressure or Use Low-Flow Faucets and Showerheads
- Reduce Boiler Steam Pressure
- Repair Damaged or Missing Insulation
- Install Lighting Controls
- Consider “Smart” Power Strips
- Reset Hot/Chilled-Water Temperature
- Seal Leaky Ductwork