Happy Thanksgiving!Andrew at Aeroseal
Thanksgiving is a holiday that brings family and friends together to share good food, conversation, and laughter.Many of us travel long distances to share the holiday with loved ones. Before you head off to your festivities, take a minute and read these tips – be sure to keep your family and home safe this holiday season.
- Stop the newspaper and mail – or ask a trusted neighbor to pick them up.
- Remove”fall-related” tools (ladders, etc) – these objects might grant access to your home.
- Unplug small appliances and electronic devices – If you don’t want it to accidental turn on when you’re gone, unplug it. Also, these “vampire appliances” can add up to 10% to your monthly utility bill according to Energy.gov.
- Consider turning off the water – If that sounds too drastic for you, at least turn off the valves to the washing machine, dish washer and all sinks
- Put at least one light in your house on a timer – this gives your home the illusion that someone is home
- Make sure your smoke detectors are working properly – according to the National Fire Protection Agency, Thanksgiving is the peak day for home fires, make sure your family is protected
- Set your thermostat to a temperature closer to outside temps (cooler in the winter)